The construction work in what was to become the Vigeland park lasted for many years. The area east of the pond had been a public park since the turn of the 20th century. In 1924 it was decided that Vigeland's Fountain and Monolith with surrounding granite groups were to be erected on a large area west of the pond. In 1931 Vigeland's park plan, including the bridge decorated with sculptures, was approved by the City Council. The magnificent main gate, which was financed by Oslo Sparebank, had already been approved in 1927.
The Vigeland Park was mainly completed between 1939 and 1949. The City of Oslo was its main contributor, but a number of private persons and companies also contributed.
All the sculptures in the Vigeland Park were modelled in full size in clay by Gustav Vigeland. He then let professional craftsmen do the carving in granite and casting in bronze. Vigeland was also in charge of the design and architectural layout of the vast area of 80 acres.